Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 290-8k bolt up to which horns?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member scootertrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2004
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a 290-8k driver that I would like to use as a mid-hi driver for a guitar amp cabinet. I am looking for a horn that is approximately the same size as my 511b's, but use the 3 bolt flange. I have a nice horn that accomodates a 4 bolt flange, but the 290-8k does not have the holes drilled out for that mounting... anyway, my intentions were to use that other horn with a 906-8a I already have.

    I understand that the 290-8L has the option of 3 or 4 bolt mounting, but the 8k does not... how easy is it to remove the front segment off that 290-8k driver to achieve the 4 hole pattern?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    The Altec 25544 Adaptor adapts the 3-bolt pattern drivers to 4-bolt pattern horns. It was a flate square plate with four studs welded to it, and three holes for the 3-bolt driver. You installed the thick rubber gasket on the driver, then use short bolts to attach the plate to the driver. Then, you install the thin rubber gasket, then insert the 4-bolts onto the 4-bolt horn and tighten the lockwashers and nuts.

    These are hard to find, but you could, conceivably, make one.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Might be as easy to modify the back plate on the horn to match the Altec pattern. If you didn't want to try it, a local machine shop would do that for a small amount.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member scootertrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2004
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought if dissassembly was not such a problem, I could modify the front of the 290-8k to have the 4 bolt mount... like the 290-8L

    thanks

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have one of those adapter plates laying here.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Scootertrs, email me if you want it.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Dave H.:
    Might be as easy to modify the back plate on the horn to match the Altec pattern. If you didn't want to try it, a local machine shop would do that for a small amount.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dave, I think the horn he has is an MRII594B, and it doesn't have a plate that can be modified easily, the throat is the same size as the mounting plate (outside anyway) and has slots for accessing the bolts.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That modification wouldn't work in that instance of course - ddn't know what horn he had. I have 4 different throat adapters and it would be pretty easy to add another bolt hole pattern if the mating bolt circle was similar. I would be uncomfortable drilling and tapping new stud holes in a driver, especially an Alnico model.
    That's another reason why I love this board - access to helpful knowledgeable folks.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Datubie's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    He could just get a 311-60 or 90.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Or a 511-E would work. Don't see them on ebay much unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.